Marcia K. WernerOf Counsel
Marcia K. Werner has been practicing law in New Jersey since 1977, when she was admitted to the bar. The main focus of her practice is on divorce and family law. Her comprehension of New Jersey law and the court system, the respect she has earned from judges and other attorneys, and her understanding of the needs of her clients are all valuable assets, which she uses on behalf of her clients.
Divorce and Family Law
In her practice, Ms. Werner deals with all aspects of divorce and family law. Highly respected by both the courts and her fellow attorneys as a skilled negotiator and litigator, she consistently obtains favorable outcomes for her clients in these and other areas: father’s rights, spousal support, child support, child custody and parenting concerns, equitable distribution of marital property, and the special complex issues of high-income divorce.
Marcia K. Werner graduated with honors from Rutgers University Law School in 1977. That same year she was admitted to practice law in the State of New Jersey.
Marcia began her career as an associate in a small law firm in Hackensack, NJ. In 1981 she formed a partnership, Newman & Baer, which later merged with Hirsch & Simpson, Esq., to become Hirsch, Newman, Simpson & Baer. In 1981 Ms. Werner opened a private practice in Oradell, NJ, and in 2016 she began her Of Counsel relationship with the Aretsky Law Group, P.C.
Ms. Werner is highly regarded as a skilled litigator in both the trial and the appellate courts. In 1986 she was admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. That same year she was admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court.
One important Supreme Court case involved the Rotary Club of Duarte, which wanted to admit women into the all-male organization. Ms. Werner filed an Amicus Curiae Brief with the US Supreme Court, and the result was that from that time on women would be permitted to join previously all-male civic organizations.
Ms. Werner has written panel reports and has read bar exams for the New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Character and the New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners.
Marcia Werner is a court-approved New Jersey divorce & family law mediator.
Honorable Peter Ciolino Bergen County Professional Lawyer of the Year
In October 2016 Marcia K. Werner was named Professional Lawyer of the Year for 2016. This honor is awarded by the Bergen County Bar Association and the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law.
The prestigious award is bestowed yearly upon New Jersey lawyers whose “conduct, competence, and demeanor set a positive example for others in the legal profession.” It is presented in memory of the Honorable Peter Ciolino.
Ms. Werner is a member of the New Jersey Bar Association and the Bergen County Bar Association. She is also a member of the Collaborative Divorce Association of North Jersey.
She served on or chaired these and other Bergen County Bar Association committees:
- Professionalism in the Law Committee;
- Diversity in the Profession Committee;
- Emergency Professional Assistance Committee;
- Family Law Committee; and
- Judicial Appointments and Selection Committee.
As of this writing Marcia Werner serves as Chair of a Bergen County Matrimonial Early Settlement Panel.
Ms. Werner served in these capacities:
- as River Edge Zoning Board Attorney;
- as President of the Bergen County Bar Foundation;
- as Vice-President of Women Lawyers in Bergen;
- as a Trustee of the Bergen County Bar Association;
- twice on the Supreme Court District Ethics Committee;
- on the Supreme Court District Fee Arbitration Committee; and
- on the Board of Directors of the Bergen County Board of Legal Services.
Ms. Werner is the recipient of these honors:
- the 1989 Bergen County Legal Services Award;
- the 1995 Displaced Homemakers Network of New Jersey Award;
- the Bergen County Bar Foundation Lawyer Achievement Award; and
- the Bergen County Bar Association 2016 Honorable Peter Ciolino Professional Lawyer of the Year Award.